Highlander serves as a catalyst for grassroots organizing and movement building in Appalachia and the South. We work with people fighting for justice, equality and sustainability, supporting their efforts to take collective action to shape their own destiny. Through popular education, participatory research, and cultural work, we help create spaces — at Highlander and in local communities — where people gain knowledge, hope and courage, expanding their ideas of what is possible. We develop leadership and help create and support strong, democratic organizations that work for justice, equality and sustainability in their own communities and that join with others to build broad movements for social, economic and restorative environmental change.
Strategic Action and Assessment Plan (SAAP)
Through work in 2012 and 2013, we recently identified six points of leverage to build power where the current moment and our methodologies converge to create great potential for justice and equity. These points of leverage include:
1. Robust regional network of economic alternatives is built and policies shifted toward transformative economic models.
2. Experiments and practice in participatory governance take hold through the region.
3. Migrant justice is increased in the context of global economics.
4. Access to quality education, decriminalization of youth and restorative jus-tice practices are spread.
5. Exploitative ownership and use of land, water and air are transformed into sustainable practices for healthy communities.
6. Worker justice efforts are strengthened and advanced.