Be our friend!
The 10th Annual Seeds of Fire Camp is a weeklong camp for Southern and Appalachian youth-led and youth centered groups organizing for social change. The camp is focused on changing the education and juvenile justice systems in our communities, states and across the country while examining the world we live in. Due to the acknowledged economic crises and the economic crises our communities have been suffering with throughout we also be looking at economics personally and systemically and we will look at how our education and juvenile justice system are impacted by the economic system.
- Political Education and Analysis – We believe that political education and analysis creates lifelong leaders and change makers who are able to critically examine issues while making connections between our issues locally, regionally, nationally and globally.
- Youth and Adult Ally Tracks – The camp consists of youth and adult ally tracks that will come together for intergenerational programming. The ally track gives adults a rare chance to support and challenge each other, exploring how to best foster youth leadership and intergenerational organizations.
- Nonviolence 2 Day Core Training – The Gathering for Justice and Highlander are partnering to equip young people with the skills to stand up against the violence in communities and among each other.
- Skills, Tools and Strategy Building – Become the trainer and not just the participant- come learn new tools, techniques and strategies and share with others what has made your organization successful. Using popular education, research, theater, games, art, history and collective wisdom we’ll have fun while generating a new vision for the world we wish to see!
When you leave the camp you don’t leave the work. We invite youth-led and youth-centered groups organizing for social change in the South and Appalachia to send a team of three people – two youth (13-18) and one adult ally – who would like to partner with Highlander to help train and organize with others in your community and your state to help make change including leading a “mini Seeds of Fire camp” in your community.
Applications Due June 10th.
To apply, please submit one application per person, along with the team application.
- Group Application – online
- Individual Application – online
- Printable application form – group and inidividual (PDF 170kb)
For more information call Elandria Williams at 865-973-1896 or email elandria (at) test.highlandercenter.org.