Job Announcement – Bookkeeper
Part Time Position to Start Immediately
Founded in 1932, the Highlander Research and Education Center is a world-renowned beacon for progressive organizing. Highlander is widely acclaimed as a leadership development center for grassroots activists across race and generations and as a critical resource for the social justice community for strategy development, best practices and movement building.
Highlander is looking for a part-time bookkeeper.
The position is approximately half time hourly and will work out of the Highlander office located in New Market.
Position available immediately and applications will be taken and considered until a candidate is chosen.
The Bookkeeper will be responsible for timely and accurate entries into QuickBooks, our accounting system. The majority of these entries will be to record Accounts Payable and Revenue transactions. The Bookkeeper will ensure the accuracy and authorization of all entries (G/L account coding, job coding, and required signatures).
The Bookkeeper will also generate check runs, maintain all paper files for A/P and A/R entries, and generate payroll for all employees and contractors. The Bookkeeper will assist the staff with other projects, including financial reporting, preparation of materials for the month-end close and annual audit.
The work schedule is flexible. Typical hours required are 16 -24 per week.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure timely and accurate recording and payment of all contracts, bills and invoices
- Update GL and maintain accurate cash balances
- Prepare monthly journal entries and update balance sheet
- Generate weekly check runs
- Maintain vendor files
- Record revenues as reported by various departments
- Generate other reports from QuickBooks and Excel as requested to assist financial officer
- At least 2 years’ experience with A/P, A/R payroll
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail
- Good listening skills
- Ability to communicate with different kinds of people
- Experience with non-profit accounting
- Solid Excel and Word skills
- Working knowledge of QuickBooks
- Experience in a nonprofit organization helpful
- Sense of humor and positive attitude
People of color and women are encouraged to apply. Please send a letter of interest, resume, and references via mail, email or fax to:
Rob Reining, Operations Coordinator
Highlander Research and Education Center
1959 Highlander Way
New Market, TN 37820
for more information call 865-933-3443, ext. 223