Highlander Seeks Office Manager
The Highlander Research and Education Center is an 84 year old popular education center that works with grassroots groups in Appalachia and across the U.S. South to promote social and economic justice. Highlander’s long and proud history includes cutting edge work with labor education and organizing, the Civil Rights Movement, environmental justice in Appalachia, and more recently, the changing demographics of our region. Widely acclaimed as a leadership development center for grassroots activists across race, culture and generations, Highlander is world-renowned as a beacon for progressive organizing.
Overview of position:
This position will provide administrative support to Highlander’s Staff. This is a full time position.
The Office Manager is a vital team member for both internal and external work at Highlander. While providing the internal administrative support that helps maintain well-functioning teams and organizational harmony, this position will also serve as the first point of contact for many of our guests, partner organizations, and potential visitors and workshop participants.
- Answer the phone and greet guests
- Maintain the calendar for Workshop Center event rentals
- Book travel for Board and staff
- Documentation, storage, and internal sharing of meeting notes
- Assist the Development Team as needed (donor mailings, grant documentation, etc.)
- Assist the Finance Team as needed (material development and coordination, etc.)
- Assist with the development, editing, printing, and storage of documents and materials
Helpful skills and experience for this position:
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Able to establish rapport with activists and community members in diverse ethnic, racial, social and economic groups
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, including Word, Outlook, and Excel
- Computer savvy and willing to explore and utilize new technologies
- Solid administrative skills
- Time management ability and strong organizational skills
- Bookkeeping experience is a plus
- Bi or Multi-Lingual is a plus
Expectations of all staff positions at Highlander:
- Passionate about Highlander’s purpose and able to communicate our program work effectively.
- Committed to racial, gender, economic, environmental and social justice.
- Organized and able to balance multiple responsibilities with grace.
- Be an active participant in a democratically participatory organization.
- Keep Highlander’s purpose and the people with whom we work central.
- Sense of humor welcome and most helpful.
- High degree of honesty and integrity.
Salary and Benefits:
Highlander offers excellent pay and benefits including health insurance and generous paid time off.
Send letter of interest, resume, and references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
This position starts as soon as possible. Resumes will be accepted until October 28th or the position is filled.