Seasonal Workshop Center Staff: Positions are part-time and scheduled as needed. This is perfect for students and folks looking for extra income. Work is seasonal, with the season wrapping up around mid-November. Scheduling is very flexible!! We are more than willing to work with other schedules such as school, activism or another employer.
The Highlander Research and Education Center is an eighty-four year old popular education center that works with grassroots groups, in Appalachia and across the South, to promote social and economic justice. We are located 20 miles northeast of Knoxville, Tennessee, on a 186 acre farm. Highlander’s long and proud history includes cutting-edge work with labor education and economic justice organizing, the Civil Rights Movement, environmental justice in Appalachia, and more. Highlander continues our movement building work with the current issues of today, including the movement for Black lives, immigrant and refugee rights, and transitioning from a coal economy in Appalachia, among others.
Overview of Position
This position is hourly and scheduled on an as-needed basis based on ability and availability. You will work with the Chef/Manager or with a Workshop Center Assistant.
This person will be a member of Highlander’s Operations Team. This team works together to carry out the responsibilities of Highlander’s Workshop Center and other facilities at Highlander.
Duties Include but are not limited to:
- Share in cooking and cleaning responsibilities to provide safe, efficient, clean and welcoming spaces at Highlander.
- Help to prepare workshop center meals utilizing a maximum of fresh produce and a minimum of processed food.
- Housekeeping between groups and general upkeep and cleaning during each visit. This work includes laundry, dishwashing, windows, bathrooms, sorting trash and recycling, composting, sweeping and mopping, vacuuming and other general cleaning.
- Help in the garden to insure the maximum usage of on-site organic grown produce.
- Share Highlander’s rich history and current work with visitors and workshop participants.
- Help with childcare services when needed.
- Participate in staff meetings and educational sessions, as requested.
- Whatever comes up or that might be done to provide guest with the best experience possible.
Helpful skills and experience for this position:
- Experienced cooking for diverse groups a PLUS; however, willingness and interest will be considered.
- Serv-safe or equivalent certification a PLUS but not required.
- Good communication skills and the ability to speak to groups and be a team player.
- Able to establish rapport with activists and community members in diverse ethnic, racial, social and economic groups.
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team. This requires self-motivation, multi-tasking and flexibility.
- Time management skills.
- Commitment to racial, gender, economic, environmental and social justice and civil and human rights.
- Belief in Highlander mission and purpose.
- Gardening interest helpful.
- First-aid, CPR or rescue breathing certifications a PLUS, but not required.
- As we are in a rural environment, reliable transportation is required.
- General knowledge and comfort of rural East Tennessee. We work on a farm in the country, so naturally there are lots of bugs and wildlife around us. Our comfort and knowledge makes our guests feel safe and comfortable.
- Willingness to care!
We cook with love and clean with care. You would be joining a small core team that has many years of combined service, who truly believe that we are “feeding the movement.” We are part of something bigger than any one of us, but together we manage to pull off amazing things. The team is eager to welcome new team members as we gear up for the 2016 season on “the Hill”.
Highlander hopes to fill this position by April 15, 2016. Position will remain open until all spots are filled.
Send resume and 3 references to:
Workshop Center Chef / Manager
1959 Highlander Way
New Market, TN 37820
**People of color, LGBTQI community, women and students encouraged to apply! **
**Bilingual a PLUS but not required. **