Appalachian Transition Fellowship
Overview of position:
This staff position will provide administrative support to Highlander’s Education Team, which works together to plan, carry out and evaluate the movement and capacity building educational work of the Highlander Center, and in particular to our Appalachian Transition Fellowship Program. This is a 50% FTE position, with the potential to grow into a full time position.
The Appalachian Transition Fellowship (www.appfellows.org) is a program designed for emerging community leaders committed to working in Central Appalachia for the economic transition of the region. These fellows will be placed in host communities that are working in in partnerships across the sectors of education, non-profit, business, philanthropy and government. This position will provide administrative to members of the Education team to carry out this fellowship program, including:
- Maintaining consistent correspondence with Fellows, Host Communities, funders, and others involved in the program
- Booking travel for Education Team staff
- Booking travel for Fellows and other program participants
- Tracking staff calendars
- Documentation and storage of meeting notes
- Assist with grant writing and research
- Providing support for financial reporting, including credit card reports and tracking of workshop income and expenditure
- Assisting in development, editing, printing, and copying materials for workshops
- Scheduling meetings as needed
- Assisting in the application and interview process for host communities and fellows
- Organizing orientation, tour and training sessions
- Helping develop, store, and print documents, reports, and materials
- Supporting curriculum development
- Maintaining database
- Providing ongoing communications, including website updates, reporting, publicity
Helpful skills and experience for this position:
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Able to establish rapport with activists and community members in diverse ethnic, racial, social and economic groups
- Commitment to and analysis of racial, gender, economic, environmental and social justice and civil and human rights
- Experience with social media
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, including Word and Publisher
- Computer savvy and willingness to explore and utilize new technologies
- Detail oriented, big picture understanding
- Solid administrative skills
- Time management ability and strong organizational skills
- Problem-solving, initiative, not afraid to ask questions
- Writing skills
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours at times
- Willingness to travel
Location: Highlander is a residential workshop center located on 186 acres in east Tennessee northeast of Knoxville in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains. Some staff live on the Highlander grounds while others live in the surrounding areas, including Knoxville. This position will be based at the Highlander Center.
Expectations of all staff positions at Highlander:
- Passionate about Highlander’s purpose and able to communicate our program work effectively.
- Committed to racial, gender, economic, environmental and social justice.
- Self-starter as well as a team player.
- Organized and ability to balance multiple responsibilities with grace.
- Be an active participant in a democratically participatory organization.
- Keep Highlander’s purpose and the people with whom we work central.
- Sense of humor welcome and most helpful.
- High degree of honesty and integrity.
Salary and Benefits:
Highlander has an existing pay scale and excellent benefits package.
This position starts as soon as possible with plans to fill the position by June 1st. Highlander will start reviewing applications immediately, and the position is open until filled.
Send letter of interest, resume, one page writing sample and 3 references to:
Search Committee: Education Team Admin Support
Attn Matt Griffin
1959 Highlander Way
New Market, TN, 37820
Email applications are accepted at Matt@highlandercenter.org or by fax at 865-933-3424. Women, people of color, and lesbigaytrans encouraged to apply.