On Top This Week – Updated Sept 21, 2021
- Register for Highlander’s 89th Homecoming and sign up for the Squadship Showcase on Sept 25th 12-2pm ET. Here is the zoom link that you will need to join.
- Each squad should prepare a 10-minute showcase of your work: this could be video that you, your local videographer and Kristan collab on; it could be a Pecha Kucha visual presentation (20 sec each image); it could be a piece of theater (like the SuperBowl commercials y’all did); or a combo of these.
- Submit your People’s Movement Assembly Plan before your PMA.
- Fill out this week’s September 19-25 weekly reflection by Monday, September 27th. Make sure to select Sept 19-25. (Do last week’s now if you haven’t yet!)
- You can book up to two one-on-one healing consultation sessions directly with Jetzi or Juju through Nov 15 and Highlander will pay the bill.
- Look out for an email from James to submit your time for Sept 11-24 (Saturday hours get added to next week’s timecard).
- For the regrant, we will need this paperwork from the 501c3 (fiscal sponsor):
- Grant agreement (David will send you this when it’s ready)
- Direct Deposit Form
- Submit videos to Kristan using the video file drop folder: https://share.mayfirst.org/s/LPa5Qi4xGyiiAoR or add squadship21video (at) gmail.com as a collaborator on google drive. – Email kristan.woolford (at) gmail.com if you submit something to this folder and please label it with your squad name!
- A greater understanding of the form and function of solidarity economies.
- Experience teaching in popular education methods.
- Building relationships with a breadth of social movement activities in the Southern US.
- Deepening solidarity economy practice.
- Holding ground gained by communities during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Deepening cultural organizing practices in solidarity economy formations.
Mon, Sept 13, 4-7pm — Gathering #3
Thurs, Sept 30, 4-7pm — Gathering #4
Interns are expected to participate in 4 Squadship gatherings during the 11 weeks.
The internship also contains the following deliverables. Consider who might be the point person on your squad for these.
- Determine and report on a project or next step that will help your group hold the ground they gained during the pandemic.
- Host a People’s Movement Assembly with their community during the Squadship by Sept 17.
- Optional: Host Highlander Staff in a site visit to your community by Sept 17 – may be virtual.
- Help find a local videographer to document your squad’s organizing and coordinate with Highlander’s chief videographer.
- Create a beautiful solutions card as a squad by Oct 1.
- Weekly journal entries or video journals reflecting on prompts as assigned (everyone)
- Attend at least one workshop to skill up, facilitate a workshop in your community on that skill, and attend a strategy clinic about the facilitation. (everyone)
- Participate in the Highlander Homecoming Squadship Showcase Sept 24-26.
- Participate in a program evaluation and complete a Squadship evaluation form by Oct 1.
Make sure to submit timesheets no later than Friday:
- August 13
- August 26
- September 10
- September 24
- October 8
Gathering & Workshop Materials
Visit this site after each gathering or workshop for access to slides, resources, and recordings.
Upcoming Gatherings (Required):
- Sat, Sept 25, 12-2pm ET Highlander Homecoming Squadship Showcase
- Thurs, Sept 30, 4-7pm ET
Harm Free Zones Recording
September 13 – Gathering 3
Spiritual Praxis in Mutual Aid Skillup
Power of Online Space (Aug 30) – PeoplesHub
August 21st – Gathering 2
Solidarity Economy 101 (Aug 7)
July 25th – Gathering 1
How to Join Gatherings & Check-ins
We will connect together on Zoom, an online video conference platform. Go to https://zoom.us/freesignup/ to download a free Zoom software on your computer before the day of the workshop.
Click this link 5-10 minutes before start time, or copy and paste this URL into your browser: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/5066393083?pwd=cHovay8wSWJYVlp3RU1YeTlGSjE1dz09 If you get disconnected and/or need to join audio by phone, here is the call-in information. Dial +1 312 626 6799, then key in the Meeting ID: 506 639 3083#.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Show up! Your participation is part of the learning.
- A quiet space with a strong internet connection.
- A computer or laptop.
- A webcam.
- Ideally, a pair of headphones that have a microphone to cut out background noise.
Highlander Squad Contact
April Taylor firstname.lastname@example.org
Denzel Caldwell email@example.com
Je Nae Taylor firstname.lastname@example.org
David Ferris email@example.com 865-742-4514