Highlander is searching for a gifted Digital Strategist to support Highlander’s Development and Communications team’s work to document and share the incredible work of Highlander’s staff, networks, partners, and program participants at Highlander and in the field. The Digital Strategist will actively engage Highlander’s accomplices, supporters, comrades, and funders with online and digital content and strategy development, prioritizing language justice in all communications.
Highlander is an intersectional resource for the U.S. South, both a “movement school” and place where leaders, networks, and movement strands come together to interact, build relationships, craft joint strategy, and develop tools and mechanisms to advance a multi-racial, intergenerational movement for justice in our region. Cornerstones of the work are building the skills of grassroots people and capacity of organizations for long haul work, and connecting people and issues for holistic analysis and broad-based movement building. Highlander works on a variety of issues because we believe these issues are connected, because the needs in the region are deep, and because we are asked by the people and communities we serve. We also target specific issues where we believe strategic focus will maximize our impact and help develop a critical mass of people to make change.
Learn more about Highlander’s current and past work here: https://www.highlandercenter.org/our-story/
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Digital Strategist will be the point person for Highlander’s digital communications work. Specific responsibilities will include:
- holding primary responsibility for Highlander’s social media and online content
- Strategic content and scheduling across online platforms including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Vimeo, and YouTube
- Digital Communications strategy development to include best practices, amplification of Highlander networks, creative engagement with followers, and tracking and reporting of analytics to team and Resource Committee
- Graphic design creation of promotional materials and educational materials
- Work with Communications Strategist team member to ensure Highlander website content is updated regularly
- Support Communications Strategist as needed to craft View from the Hill e-newsletter content and design
- incorporating (and advocating for) Language Justice methodology in all digital communications.
- when appropriate and necessary, working with the Education Team’s Administrative Assistant to provide digital communications tech support:
- Video Chat engagement
- Zoom multimedia support
- working with Communications Strategist team member and the Education Team to maintain cross-team communications of Highlander programming and network programming to inform digital communications content
- supporting documentation of Highlander’s on-site work and in the field through videography, photography, and other digital approaches
- working with the Communications Strategist to develop innovative communications content, including video and podcast possibilities
- attend regular team, staff, committee & Board of Directors meetings
- Ensure and participate in organizational and team planning and evaluation
- Keep the purpose of Highlander’s work and the people with whom Highlander works at the center of our activities and decisions.
- Actively engage in a highly participatory workplace alongside other staff
REQUIRED SKILLS, EXPERIENCES, and UNDERSTANDINGS
Applicants invited to an initial interview will show evidence of a majority of the following:
- skilled in social media management across platforms
- able and willing to maintain current and best practices in social media communications while also contributing to innovations in the field
- able and willing to track social media analytics to inform communications strategies
- strong interpersonal skills
- outgoing and people friendly
- able to establish rapport with grassroots leaders and community members in diverse ethnic, racial, geographic, social, economic, and intergenerational groups
- creative and strategic thinker, good problem solver
- willingness to travel
- ability to work occasional weekends, evenings/late nights
- ability to respond to urgent issues as they arise
- high degree of integrity among peers
- experience with Google suite & Microsoft suite.
- understanding of progressive social change and community organizing.
- demonstrated commitment to racial, gender, economic, environmental and social justice
- experience in the South and/or Appalachia
- passionate about Highlander’s purpose and able to communicate our program work effectively
- self-starter as well as a team player
- ability to think and work organizationally
- organized and ability to balance multiple responsibilities with grace.
- ability to keep Highlander’s purpose and the people with whom we work central.
- sense of humor welcome and most helpful.
- high degree of honesty and integrity
- commitment to confidentiality
DESIRED SKILLS, EXPERIENCES, and UNDERSTANDINGS
- Bi- or multi-lingual fluency (writing, reading, speaking highly desired, especially Spanish/English)
This position is directly accountable to the Development & Communications Team, which is currently supervised by the Co-Executive Director(s). The Digital Strategist attend regular meetings with the Communications Strategist, bi-weekly Development & Communications Team meetings, other organizational team meetings as necessary/assigned, monthly staff meetings, staff retreats, and three multi-day Board of Directors meetings.
COMPENSATION & EMPLOYEE BENEFITS
This position is a full-time salaried position, currently set at Highlander’s Level 1 salary ($46,725 before taxes/withholdings). The position also comes with a stellar benefits package, including Blue Cross/Blue Shield (Tennessee) Health, Vision, and Dental coverage (extended to dependents), TIAA-CREF retirement account with employer contribution after a year of employment, a nominal life insurance plan, significant sick and vacation leave, generous holiday leave, and a variety of other policies intended to encourage health and wellness, such as an annual professional development stipend. Work cell phone and computer provided. Highlander offers up to $1,000.00 in relocation reimbursements and, if available, temporary transitional housing in one of Highlander’s lodging facilities.
This position is Exempt, meaning it does not qualify for overtime pay. An average commitment of 40 hours per week required (35 work hours and 5 paid break hours). Flexibility in arrival and departure time may be needed to support the work, including some nights and weekends. Some travel may be required.
Highlander is located on 186 acres of land in rural East Tennessee (near Knoxville) and is considered a “movement home” by thousands of people from all over the world. We encourage applicants currently living in the area, and we are also open to proposals for remote work on a case-by-case basis. During the COVID-19 pandemic, all staff whose responsibilities include on-site work are expected to adhere to high standards of safety/health protocols.
HOW TO APPLY
Step 1: In one PDF document, compile:
- cover letter
- your best 2-3 examples of social media messaging, campaigns, and/or graphics you have created for work comparable to this position
- name & contact information for 3 references
Step 2: Email that PDF document to email@example.com. Write “Digital Strategist” in the Subject line. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Optional: In addition to the required information above, you can send other application content that showcases your skills, interests, and experiences. Make sure to include any explanation needed of the content. The content can come in any form of media, which can include but is not limited to:
- A Timeline of your work, life, or experiences
- A Video
- A Powerpoint or other form of presentation
- A Graphic design, Collage or sets of Pictures and Photographs
- A Song, poem, or other writing samples
Timeline: The application process will be open until position is filled. We hope to fill this position as soon as possible. Select applicants will receive an initial invitation to interview with a hiring committee. The final candidate(s) will participate in a final interview to which all Highlander staff are invited. During the pandemic, all interviews will be via Zoom.
Highlander is an equal opportunity employer, and we especially encourage applications from Black, brown, and indigenous people, women, LGBTQ+ and gender variant/non-conforming folks, and working-class/cash poor people. Folks directly impacted by the criminal justice system are also encouraged to apply.
If you have a question about the position before applying, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org, and someone from the hiring committee will be in touch as soon as possible.